Monday, November 29, 2010

Sports

I have to admit that one thing I never did understand about father was his complete disregard for anything related to sports.  I am not sure he actually ever played a sport, even as a child!  He was a terrible runner and though he boasted of having been a skier - he actually couldn't even do the basics.  So, I think he must have watched skiers, not actually ever skied himself.

When I was 8 years old, I was growing at the rate of just over one inch a month!  My parents hauled me into the doctor's since I was getting really tall for my age - his advice: buy the kid a basketball.  Of course, had I any coordination that might have been really good advice but I was an utter klutz and more than once was beaten up by the ball.

Sports never did play an important role in my life, but I did play for all of the schools I attended.  Soccer teams in France and Germany, baseball in Germany, basketball and tennis here in America.  And for all of those games, across all of those years, want to guess whom never came to a single one?  Yeah, father.

I know in his mind it revolved around work being first, wife second, then friends, then children.  But you would think that in 8 years he could have made one game!  Especially true for the ones on Saturdays.

So, I think you are getting a picture of the man I really did not know very well.

No comments: